Monday, June 9, 2008

YOUNG AT HEART--OLD DOGS, NEW TRICKS

This morning someone in our Yoga Class offered a Movie recommendation. It will be shown here at our little Orcas Sea View Theater this week-end, and it is called "Young at Heart". It is a Documentary revolving around a choral group of Octogenarians. The group has been together for some time, and their passion and dedication to and enjoyment of their music seems to be a key in keeping them young and vital--happy--and involved in life and living. Obviously they provide a model for those of us who are standing a bit lower on the age ladder, but are in the middle of those once anticipated "golden years".

In discussing this "Young at Heart" phenomenon, someone told me they thought one of the most important things in life for everyone--from little kids to old folks--was to have "chores". To be responsible in part for the on-goingness of the family or the house or the organization. As the nest empties, and spouses and friends die, it becomes incumbent on each and everyone of us to take on new "chores" or interests, and to remain vitally involved in Life as long as we are Living.

My Heart feels Young.....but....sometimes my body sends other messages! So, I gear down a bit. But then-- I'm reminded of my retired school teacher friend, who--just recently--followed her interest in crafts and card-making, and went ahead to launch a very attractive, professionally formatted Blog, complete with digital pictures, graphics and interesting text. Old dogs do learn new tricks!!

There are active, passionate Seniors in my Yoga Class, Meditation, Poetry and Play Writing Writing Groups, Book Clubs and Study Groups. And then there are surprise finds-- like the stimulating retired-engineer German conversation partner I met at Starbucks, who keeps me informed about International News as reported in the German papers, as well as sharing historical perspectives on growing up in Neuremberg. Some Seniors are still working--like me. But common traits apply: Active, Curious, Creative, Connected, Engaged, Learning, Optimistic.

Often I observe my four-year old grand-daughter playing, exploring, pushing boundaries and limits, absorbing, singing, laughing, crying. She is totally in the present, not concerned with yesterday or tomorrow. I think this defines "Young at Heart". I'd like to be just like her.

PS--It was the retired school teacher who led me, step by step 'til the wee hours of the morning, through all the machinations necessary for the establishment of my own blog!

1 comment:

a portland granny said...

Thanks for the nice comments, but I thought you should know that I went out to the mailbox twice today, having forgotten I had already gathered the mail earlier!!

the school teacher!