Wednesday, December 24, 2008

SNOWED IN--DAY TEN--CHRISTMAS EVE...."YES, VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS"


It is Christmas Eve at the Vatican. Through the magic of radio waves, I hear the Pope singing Mass. Earlier today with nothing to do, no place to go, I listened to a Three Hour History of Christmas and Santa Claus. Totally fascinating, and filling in gaps of my own knowledge with little known but apparently well documented elements in the evolution of the Holiday now upon us. It's a Celebration which has evolved through 2,000 plus years of the human family, mutating along the line, borrowing bits and pieces here and there, even changing the names and faces from time to time, but, in my opinion maintaining it's primary essence

I've lived long enough to return to the love of fantasy and magic of childhood, and wonder why I gave all that up for reason and logic and consensus and all that academic, scientific proof stuff. For those who don't want to "believe" in Santa Claus, I wish them well, but don't rob me of my pleasure, my grand children's delight; don't rob me of the chance to dodge the onslaughts of reality for a few weeks, and retreat to the simplicity of a Christmas tree, to the family traditions built around the giving and receiving of gifts, and all the good things that come from these special precious days of December.

It is already dark enough. Just eight hours of daylight today, but my Christmas tree with it's twinkling lights substitutes for the stars I can't see with the dark snow clouds hanging low, and the moon only a faint blur through the haze. Nothing can match the wonder and the sweet belief of a four year old grand daughter. We need her so that we don't become too jaded and cynical. She believes in the Magic. We support her in that.

Although I'm not Catholic, there is something reassuring about hearing the atonal Christmas Eve Mass, in real time, twelve thousand miles away. It's part of the mystique. Beyond the mundane. A centuries-old tradition being confirmed. Following the Pope's broadcast from Rome, there is a NORAD Report informing us that Santa has indeed left the North Pole and on his way with a sleigh packed full of toys for all good little girls and boys.

It is, after all, Christmas Eve.




2 comments:

Sally said...

I agree with you 100%! There is nothing more magical than believing in Santa Claus and especially through your grandchildren's eyes. Loved reading what you wrote.

Pamela Wev said...

Elsie,
I love your blog and I can soooo hear your voice in it!
Your Robert W. Service "Sam McGhee" quote brought back memories of sitting around our dinner table at night listening to my father reading such poems..."Peg's Name on an Egg," "The Face on the Barroom Floor," etc. There was a time when I could recite Sam McGhee front to back. I've thought of him often in the last year. Since I haven't been this cold in 30 years!!!!!
Keep blogging...it's so much like listening to you talk!
Love from across the planet!
Pamela Oscarovna